India has opened one of the largest hospitals in the world to help fight coronavirus, as health authorities announced the country’s biggest one-day increase in the number of new infections.
The Sardar Patel COVID Care Centre, the largest facility of its kind in India, became partly operational on Sunday, with 2,000 of its 10,000 beds available, according to the Delhi government.
The remaining 8,000 beds at the facility, which is located in the Chattarpur area of Dehi, will be in use from Wednesday.
India’s Home Minister Amit Shah and Delhi’s Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal visited the care center on Saturday ahead of its launch.
In a message posted on Twitter that day, Kejriwal described the center as being “among the largest hospitals in the world.”
Meanwhile, the Home Minister tweeted that the 10,000-bed facility “would provide huge relief to the people of Delhi.” The administration and operations of the facility will be run by the Indo-Tiberan Border Police (ITBP), Shah confirmed.
“I applaud our courageous ITBP personnel, who would be operating this COVID Care facility during these trying times. Their commitment to serve the nation and people of Delhi is unparalleled,” he added in a tweet.
The opening of the hospital coincided with the release of India health ministry data on Sunday which showed the largest rise in the daily number of new Covid-19 cases.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!
- Greenback dealers on motorbikes deliver a cash lifeline in Argentina
- Coronavirus: Are homemade face masks safe?
- Desperately Seeking Susan actor dies after virus
- Andrew Jack, 'Star Wars' actor, dies from Covid-19
- Airbnb CEO says ‘travel as we knew it is over’ due to coronavirus pandemic
- Bill Gates: State-by-state shutdown won't work - CNN Video
- India's pandemic lockdown turns into a human tragedy
- Russia includes jail terms to enforce crackdown
- Could gaming be good for you during lockdown?
- Spain's coronavirus outbreak 'slowing'
- Africa's ventilator dystopia, Ethiopia trains doctors on COVID-19 lifes
- India has closed its railways for the first time in 167 years. Now trains a
- More than 900 virus deaths in a day in Italy
- Feds to the City: “We Only Want to Help.” Right. | Metropole
- Number of UK coronavirus deaths rises above 1,000
- Spanish medics demand protection as death toll overtakes China's
- 'We'll die of hunger first': Despair as Zimbabwe lockdown begin
- How can Boris Johnson run the UK while suffering from coronavirus?
- The hilltop fortress town that cut itself off from the world -- and coronav
- Australian artists first as music industry prepares to go live again
- Coronavirus in 52 African countries, 10,000+ cases, 487 deaths, 993 recover
- Coronavirus: What next for football as cracks begin to appear?
- Billionaire donates $3.6m towards Ethiopia's coronavirus combat | Afric
- Model cited by White House says 82,000 people could die from coronavirus by
- Mockbul Hossain, ex-Dhaka MP and Awami League leader, dies from COVID-19
- Albania extends lockdown till end of coronavirus outbreak
- Trump extends federal social distancing guidelines to April 30
- Deepak Chopra advises on how to cope with stress in times of crisis | Afric
- There are fears a coronavirus crisis looms in Tokyo. Is it too late to chan
- Confirmed global coronavirus cases pass a million